9/3/10

Not the Way

"The way called The Way is no the true Way" - Lao Tzu

This interpretation of the first passage of the Tao te Ching really struck me.  With so many ways to look at it, I found my meaning. 

When I follow other people's words without questioning why I follow them, I am no longer walking my own way.  When you give up that small part of individuality, you have lost that important bit of self.  I am not speaking of defying all societal conventions, as I believe to be human is to be a part of a community.  I am speaking of taking the time to ask one question.

Why?

We accept the way set before us, because we are told it is the right path.  How often do you take the time to ask 'Why is it the right path?'.  Take the time to ask why.  Then, find a way to understand the answer.  You don't have to agree or disagree.  By learning the why of another, by taking the time to learn the why of yourself, you grow as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment